Solar is the most abundant, best developed and reliable renewable energy available at the moment. The technology has been tested and proven. The feasibilities have been shown.
SEG has built up the proficiency, supplier relationships and on the ground capacity to deliver solutions.
Background - Residential Solar Power Solutions
SEG provides residential solar from starter system that just run the basics to full off-grid systems that can run a whole house.
The systems types we do include: Grid-tied (self-consumption and net-metering), off-grid and grid-interactive hybrid systems.
These are mostly meant for home owners either in cities (grid-interactive) or on farms/small holdings (off-grid/grid-interactive).
Residential conversion to solar is a relatively easy one if energy efficient appliances, geysers and stoves are used in combination with the solar solution. A mind shift is required as the customer ends up owning and managing their own power plant at home.
A comprehensive energy audit and site assessment is done beforehand to ensure that a client will have a right sized, sustainable solution with a long system life expectancy.
Systems pay themselves off in energy production and energy savings. The average pay-off period is 6 to 10 years compared to a 25 year life of system. These systems starts paying for themselves from day 1.
SEG does turnkey installations that includes: sizing, design, feasibilities, engineering, component supply, electrical reticulation, installations, commissioning, securing, monitoring, maintenance & management.
Background - Commercial Solar Power Solutions
Commercial solar systems are solar systems used in Corporate & Industrial (C&I) markets on office blocks, shopping centers, factories, mines, commercial farms, hotels, lodges, Security Estates, etc.
The most widely used systems are grid-tied, self-consumption systems due to the energy production curve of the solar plant being comparable to the day usage curve in the average building.
Hybrid systems using a combination of solar, batteries, gen-sets and/or wind turbines are also available. Hybrid systems allow for off-grid micro-grids to be built in remote locations like mining compounds, military bases and isolated communities where grid access is difficult or expensive.
Community solar systems are large scale systems that service whole communities like golf estates, security estates, retirement villages, etc. These can either be installed as one system or dispersed on roof, carports or ground mount installations. The dispersed system works like one big power plant.
Commercial solar systems can be installed on rooftops (single or dispersed), carport, parking garages or ground-mount locations.
A full energy audit and feasibility analysis is conducted by our engineers before the system is installed to optimized the design and minimize installation costs. The grid/ gen-set provides any additional power requirements.
SEG does turnkey installations that includes: design, sizing, engineering, financing arrangements, component supply, electrical reticulation, installations, commissioning, management & Maintenance.
We are a full wrap EPC (Engineering, Procurement & Construction) company. As well as an IPP (Independent Power Producer).
Background - Utility Scale Solar Power Solutions
Large scale (Megawatt size) solar farms that interconnect with local, micro, municipal &/or the national grids. Such farms can supply power either to one large scale user like factories, industries or mines or multiple small scale users like municipal customers, communities, security estates, office blocks/parks or office parks.
This power can either be used for:
- Self-consumption: Used on the site where it is produced.
- Wheeling onto the local grid: Power is injected onto the local municipal grid for example where it is distributed to users on that particular grid. Excess power can be wheeled onto the national grid.
- Wheeling onto the national grid: This power is either sold to Eskom or other power consumers using the national grid to distribute the power.
- Banked: Power is generated and wheeled on the grid where it is used by other users. The banked units/credits can then be used at a stage when the solar farm is not producing power.
- Stored: Grid-scale storage solutions like lithium batteries can be implemented to allow for smoothing out of the delivery curve, transition to backup gen-sets, power storage or peak shaving to reduce maximum demand charges.
We act as project developers, EPC Company (Engineering, Procurement & Construction), IPP (Independent Power Producer), Project Financing originators & General Consultants.
SEG in partnership with Solar Man, Astraea Energy and SunPower Corporation is working on 6 projects throughout South Africa ranging from 1 to 50 MW in size. The farms will connect to local municipal grids and be a second energy supply source. Solar power will be a primary supply with Eskom supplying whatever additional power is required. Implementation will be from the beginning of 2018.
Introduction to Solar Power Solutions
Solar power systems use the energy generated by the sun and converts it into energy that can be used in homes, businesses, commerce or industry.
This energy can either be:
Benefits of different systems & types
- Residential Solar Power Benefits
- Safe money on electricity bills
- Become more energy independent, self sufficient and less dependent on Eskom
- Increases the value of your property
- Power during load shedding or other power outages
- Environmentally friendly and earth concious energy generation
- Commercial Solar Power Benefits
- Reduced operating costs
- Return on Investment for the system
- Increased Energy independance and self sufficiency
- Revenue generating asset for property owners (selling pre-paid power to tenants)
- Environmentally friendly power generation
- Utility Scale Solar Farms Benefits
- Reduce the energy supply requirement from Eskom during standard and peak times
- Purchase energy at a reduced rate on a PPA (Power Purchase Agreement) basis
- No capital expense, the solar farm is paid for and maintained by Solar Energy Group (Project Developer) and investors
- Job creation and economic value created in the local community
- Reduction of various charges like maximum demand charge, access charges, fines, etc.
- Off-grid Solar Power System Benefits
- No grid connection required, thus saving costs on cabling and power provision
- No ugly power cables
- Totally energy self reliant & self-sufficient
- Silent and fuelless power generation (no generators)
- Long term solution (25 year system life)
- Grid-tied Solar Power Benefits
- Reduce your energy bills
- No batteries, just solar panels, inverter and monitoring
- Self managing system that utalises maximum power from solar but seamlessly uses grid power when required
- 25 year system life
- Limited maintenance required
- Grid Interactive (Hybrid) Solar Power System Benefits
- Optimal use of solar power and reduction of energy bills
- Can bank access power in the grid (net-metering or banking)
- Always have power, even during power outages, by storing energy in batteries
- Monitoring of consumption, generation, grid feedback, system status, etc.
- 25 year system life
More info & packages